PLEASE NOTE THAT THERE WILL BE NO CLASS ON THE KUHIO DAY HOLIDAY (Tuesday, March 26).
Aikido Community News
Kupuna Safe Falling Presentation:
Falls are the leading cause of injuries for kupunas. Every 11 seconds an older adult is seen in an emergency department for a fall-related injury. Kupuna Aikido, a nonprofit organization, is offering free one hour presentations to teach safe falling techniques that can reduce significant injury from falls. If you are interested in their classes send an email firstname.lastname@example.org. More information is available at www.kupunaaikido.org.
Don Sensei has some information about the Hakama to share with everyone. Did you know that the Hakama that the sensei wear have 7 pleats and that each of these pleats have a special meaning?
7 HAKAMA PLEATS
1) Yuki = courage, valor, bravery
2) Jin = humanity, charity, benevolence
3) Gi = justice, righteousness, integrity
4) Rei = etiquette, courtesy, civility (also means bow/obeisance)
5) Makoto = sincerity, honesty, reality
6) Chugi = loyalty, fidelity, devotion
7) Meiyo = honor, credit, glory; also reputation, dignity, prestige
Interested in seeing some video of Ueshiba Sensei, the founder of Aikido? Check out the Youtube link below: